Our current plan is the 2022-2024 Community Health Improvement Plan. Briefly, the following interventions are being implemented for each priority
1. Prevent Chronic Disease
- Implement a Fruit & Vegetable Prescription Program
- Increase utilization of congregate, home-delivered and evening meals programs
- Implement Eat Well, Play Hard
- Adopt Complete Streets resolutions, policies or ordinances
- Community partners: Lewis County Planning Department, Lewis County Highway Department and local municipalities
- Implement CDC’s Comprehensive School Physical Activity Program in local school districts
- Increase park-based physical activity through community engagement
- Increase awareness of available smoking cessation benefits through social media campaigns and pop-up events
- Increase awareness of health plan coverage benefits for tobacco dependence counseling and medications through social media campaigns and pop-up events
- Promote testing for prediabetes and risk for future diabetes
- Promote referral of patients with prediabetes to the National Diabetes Prevention Program (NDPP)
- Click here to complete a self-referral form for NDPP
- Expand access to Diabetes Self-Management Program (DSMP), Chronic Disease Self-Management Program (CDSMP), Walk with Ease and Tai Chi for Arthritis
- Click here to complete a self-referral form for our various evidence-based classes
- Implement Healthy Together for families whose children are overweight or obese
- Implement National Center of Health, Physical Activity and Disability’s (NCHPAD) 14-Week Program to a Healthier You!
2. Promote a Healthy and Safe Environment
- Implement Home Hazard Removal Program (HARP)
3. Promote Well-Being and Prevent Mental and Substance Use Disorders
- Fully Implement Sources of Strength in Lewis County Schools
- Promote routine provider screening and referrals to Credo Community Center‘s alcohol dependence treatment program(s)
- Walk-in process is also available
- Implement Getting Ahead in a Just-Gettin’-By World
- Implement Zero Suicide & Overdose
- Participate in the Lock & Talk Program
- Engage in Suicide Hotspot Interventions
- Increase availability of Gatekeeper Trainings (Question, Persuade, Refer (QPR), safeTALK, Adult, Youth and Teen Mental Health First Aid and Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST)
- For more information about free Gatekeeper trainings available to Lewis County residents, businesses and organizations, please visit the Lewis County Suicide Prevention Coalition’s website: lewiscountysuicideprevention.com
- Implement an active postvention team
- For more information about the Lewis Country Traumatic Loss (Postvention) Team, please visit their website: lewiscountysuicideprevention.com/tlt
Bridges Out of Poverty and Getting Ahead in a Just-Gettin’-By World
The Lewis County Priorities Council is sponsoring the Bridges Out of Poverty model in Lewis County, NY. There are two parts to this model:
- Reducing the social costs of poverty, strengthening the workforce, and building a more prosperous and sustainable community are goals on which most communities agree. aha! Process’s Bridges Out of Poverty is a community support program that provides a family of concepts, workshops, and products to help employers, community organizations, social service agencies, and individuals address and reduce poverty in a comprehensive way.
- Getting Ahead is a book and 16-session curriculum that helps individuals in poverty build their resources for a more prosperous life for themselves, their families, and their communities.
To stay up to date on Bridges initiatives, please considering “liking” their Facebook page: Bridges Out of Poverty Lewis County, NY. To inquire about upcoming trainings or workshops, please email email@example.com.
Naturally Healthy Lewis County
Lewis County Public Health is committed to providing the best resources of a naturally healthier lifestyle. Download the FREE Naturally Healthy Lewis County app TODAY for instant access to natural foods and fitness opportunities throughout Lewis County, NY!
Naturally Healthy Lewis County Scavenger Hunt
What is the Naturally Healthy Lewis County Scavenger Hunt?
The scavenger hunt is a way for you to discover new places and activities in Lewis County. By going to different locations on the Naturally Healthy App, you can enter to win a prize from Lewis County Public Health!
What types of places do I have to go to?
- The scavenger hunt includes places around Lewis County like farmers markets, farm stands & stores, hiking trails, parks & playgrounds, and many more!
How do I participate?
- As you visit each location on the Naturally Healthy app, you will fill out the form that is located below. When you have completed the requirements, you can send it to Lewis County Public Health to claim your prize!
Do I have to complete the scavenger hunt by a certain date?
- No! You can complete the scavenger hunt at your own pace.
Click “Read more” to download the form!
With workers in America today spending more than one-third of their day on the job, employers are in a unique position to promote the health and safety of their employees. Workplace health programs can:
- Influence social norms.
- Establish health-promoting policies.
- Increase healthy behaviors such as dietary and physical activity changes.
- Improve employees’ health knowledge and skills.
- Help employees get necessary health screenings, immunizations, and follow-up care.
- Reduce employees’ on-the-job exposure to substances and hazards that can cause diseases and injury.
If you are an employer who is interested in changing physical or organizational structuress that reach the entire workforce and make the healthy choice the easy choice, Lewis County Public Health wants to help!